Hold coal and gas corporations accountable for climate pollution
GetUp's prepared a submission calling for strong targets to reduce climate pollution. Can you add your name to show your support?
If we can show the overwhelming public support for strong climate policies, we can push the Albanese Government to create a strong mechanism that holds fossil fuel corporations to account and forces them to do their fair share to reduce pollution.
The mechanism has the potential to be a vehicle for real reductions in climate pollution — if Labor's proposed overhaul is as strong as possible.
An overhauled safeguard mechanism can set strong targets for reducing climate pollution from coal and gas corporations. Accompanying regulations can ensure these corporations actually do their fair share to reduce their climate pollution.
GetUp's submission is ready to go, and to make it as strong as it can be, the submission needs as many people as possible to back it. Together, we're calling for:
1. Strong targets for big polluting corporations to start reducing pollution immediately.
2. No 'flexible' arrangements that have allowed big polluters to game the system.
3. No unfettered access to offsets to ensure real reductions in pollution.
4. No carve-outs for coal and gas exports.
 Anglo American has concerns about Labor's climate safeguard mechanism, The Australian, 8 September 2022.
 Japan's Inpex calls for carve-outs from Labor's carbon policy, Australian Financial Review, 21 August 2022.
ADD YOUR NAME
Join thousands of GetUp members calling for the Albanese Government to hold coal and gas corporations accountable for reducing climate pollution!
Add your name to GetUp's submission below. We're calling for:
1. Strong, immediate targets for big polluting corporations
2. No 'flexible' arrangements
3. No unfettered access to offsets
4. No carve-outs for coal and gas exports