Demand a fair visa for parents
For this reason and more, migrant communities have been fighting for years for a fair temporary visa to bring our parents and grandparents to Australia – but the Liberal Government has broken its promise to do so.
Sponsorship applications have now opened for the Liberal Government's new temporary Sponsored Parent visa – but this visa is more expensive and more restrictive for our communities compared to existing visitor visas. For instance, families are forced to choose between in-law parents, creating family division. 2
The Liberal Government promised that we would not be paying high visa fees or be subject to caps on any parent visa - yet the visa they announced has done both, making it harder for us to reunite with our loved ones in Australia.3 They have broken their promise to our communities.
Migrants work hard in this country, and despite paying the same taxes, this Government has excluded us from support available to all other Australians to raise their children - such as maternity leave payments.4 Our parents and grandparents play an essential role in supporting us to build our lives in Australia. But without a fair temporary visa, our families remain split apart.
With the Federal Election only weeks away, our votes can decide which politicians stay in power. We have an opportunity now to demand all our politicians live up to their promises and implement a fair, timely pathway to keep our families together here.
Can you sign the petition and call on politicians in every political party commit to providing a fair and accessible temporary long stay parent visa?
- 2 years stay
- Fee = $140
- No Sponsorship necessary
- Australian Insurance not Required
- Total visa numbers not capped
- No restrictions on numbers of sets of parents
- 3 year continuous stay
- Fee = $5000 -$20,000
- Sponsorship requirements must be met
- Insurance required
- Visas limited to 15,000 a year
- Visas restricted to only one set of parents per family
They also promised to avoid capping visa numbers however, they have restricted visas to 15,000 per year and limited the visa availability to only one set of parents - meaning many families will have to choose which parents or in-laws they are able to bring down. 5
- "Migrants may have to wait 56 years to bring their families to Australia" SBS, 11 April 2019.
- "New temporary Sponsored Parent visa to be available from April" SBS, 04 March 2019.
- "Migrants disappointed at 'broken promise' on parent visa" SBS, 04 Dec 2018.
- "Plan to make it harder for migrants to get benefits to affect 110,000 children" The Guardian, 1 March 2018
- "A Labor government will replace the new sponsored parent visa" SBS, 14 March 2019
KEEP OUR FAMILIES TOGETHER
The Government's new Temporary Sponsored parent visa is unfair, unaffordable, and not what they promised migrant communities.
With the Federal election around the corner, our votes can determine Government.
We call on all politicians in every party to commit to a fair and accessible temporary long stay parent visa.