Renewable Energy Index
The Renewable Energy Index tracks the amount of renewable energy in Australia, the jobs it's creating, the power bill savings it is delivering for Australian households, and the environmental benefits of the rising use of clean power.
It's updated every month by Green Energy Markets' and funded by GetUp.
The September Renewable Energy Index shows that solar and wind combined had their best ever month for energy generation, and put more energy onto Australia's main grids that gas. Solar and Wind generated 2,636 GWh of electricity, surpassing a previous record high of 2,257 GWh in October 2016.
Zoe Edwards on 0400 144 794
Renewable Energy Index: Benchmark Report 2016-17
This is the inaugural edition of the Renewable Energy Index and covers the entirety of the 2016-17 financial year from July 2016 to June 2017.Key findings include:
- 70% of all homes could be powered by the sun, wind and water;
- Australia produced enough renewable energy to power 7.1 million homes;
- 8.1 million cars worth of carbon pollution - cancelled!;
- By using renewables, we avoided 25.4 million tonnes of Co2 pollution - equivalent to taking half the cars in Australia off the road;
- 8,862 people working to build big wind and solar, and
- The boom in large-scale renewables is creating enough jobs to employ 8,862 people, including 2,625 just in QLD!
Renewable Energy Index: July 2017
Renewable Energy Index: August 2017
Renewable Energy Index: September 2017